WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Hokies Unite!

Tonight I had the pleasure of going to "A Concert For Virginia Tech" Featuring Phil Vassar, Nas, John Mayer, and my personal favorite, Dave Matthews Band. The cars on I-81 all had VT Magnets on them. I had my music blasting getting pumped up for the show and felt the Hokie love for the next 175 miles. So I roll into Blacksburg, meet up with a friend and walk over to Lane Stadium.

Maroon and Orange clothing is worn by almost everyone, "Hokies Unite" cover the shirts. In between Vassar's and Nas' sets "Let's Go Hokies" was chanted repeatedly, this would end up continuing throughout the entire night, even when Dave Matthews would pause between songs. Emotions ran high the entire night, Mayer serenaded the crowd and dedicated "Gravity" to the Hokies. Dave Matthews Band, the headliner, came on at 8:30 and would not walk off the stage until 11:15PM, taking a 5 minute break and encoring with "Ants Marching."

In all the concerts I've seen in my short life of 22 years this one tops the charts, including the DMB show I saw on the one year anniversary of 9-11. Dave pulled out some old songs, and had the whole crowd singing "Every Little Things, Gonna Be Alright" from Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds", This would go on about 5 minutes, with the band and then crowd only, you could feel the emotion, even Dave was fighting to hold back tears. I'm still taken in the event and wish VT Students and College Students around the world, a great year!

Check out Dave's full setlist here: AntsMarching.ORG

No comments: