WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

All Gushing Aside, Thao Wins!

Whenever artists come into the TMD studios, I do my best to maintain a professional demeanor and try, try not to be too gushy. But, try as I might, sometimes the music fan in me just can't hold it in and I start spewing out accolades.

Twas the case with the recent visit from Virginia native Thao Nguyen and her band the Get Down Stay Down.

Her heartbreakingly amusing wordplay and self-effacing nature set against the drunken sway of the band's horns, playful keys and astute drums make We Brave Bee Stings And All, for me, one of the best albums of this young 2008. Just listen to tracks like SWIMMING POOL (a song about a wet t-shirt contest and its transcending misogyny) and the opener BEAT (HEALTH, LIFE AND FIRE) and I'm certain you'll be hooked.

So, I told Thao how I felt about the record and modestly and deadpan, she said something like, "that's nice, but see how you feel at the end of the year."

I guarantee you, Thao, it'll still be sitting towards the top of my list come December 31st!


No comments: