WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The National, Modest Mouse and R.E.M. Rock Merriweather

The National

The National kicked things off last night at 630 and what a performance they had. My favorites were "Apartment Story," "Mistaken for Strangers," and "Squalor Victoria". Singer Matt Berninger is phenomenol, lifting my spirits at times in a screaming, vulgar rant and then immediately going to his soft but deep voice. Great way to kick off the night.

Modest Mouse played a better set than last years Virgin Mobile Festival in my opinion. Issac Brock, lead singer of the band, seemed almost possessed as his wet vocals left those in the front row wishing they had ponchos. The guys rocked the house with a set mainly of older tunes with only 3 songs from We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.

R.E.M. took the stage with a roaring welcome, playing several songs off Accelerate, the guys put together a 3 song themed set for DC and Michael said "I wanted to get the patriotic set over early in the show." They rocked out 27 songs in just under two hours. Mike Mills took lead vocals for "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville." Michael only stopped to talk to the audience for a little bit about every five songs. My favorites of the night, "Horse to Water," "The One I Love," "Driver 8," "Supernatural Superserious," "Losing My Religion," and the final song, "Man on the Moon."

Being my first R.E.M. show I have nothing to compare it to, Michael Stipe was full of energy dancing from one end to the stage, doing the robot quite a lot, and breaking out the harmonica from time to time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen REM about 7 times - the first in a college basketball gymnasium. This was one of the best shows I've seen.

I'm a fan since the early 80s and I can't tell you how much I liked hearing some of their old stuff.