WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mix Tape Thursday, 3/12/09

WTMD listeners take over the airwaves with three-to-five song sets on Thursday.

Submit your own mixtape!

7 a.m. Amanda Torbit

I've seen all of these women in concert and each blew me away like I would never believe, including Bonnie Raitt who I went to see because there was an extra ticket. She totally rocked, what a nice shock.

Patty is my favorite and I just saw her a couple weeks ago at the Meyerhoff and she was by far the best. I never thought I would have a favorite singer because I like so many kinds of music but I'm glad I found Patty and she will remain my favorite forever.

I hope you get as much joy from these women as I do!
  • "Words Fell," by Lucinda Williams
  • "You Got the Silver," by Susan Tedeschi
  • "Angel from Montgomery," by Bonnie Raitt
  • "Forgiveness," by Patty Griffin

9 a.m. Laurie Little

We try to support live music and would love more airplay for all of the following bands. Any chance that I can get to share their music with others is chalked up as a good day!
  • "Little Black Angels," by Jonah Smith
  • "Our Love," by Derek Trucks Band
  • "Magnolia Soul," by Ozomatli
  • "Heart Can't Tell a Lie," by Los Lonely Boys
  • "Barrel House Blues," by Albert Cummings

11 a.m. Kevin Burke

Literary and historical inspiration for artists' lyrics.
  • "Ramble On," by Led Zeppelin, based on the The Lord of the Rings;
  • "Riddle in London Town," by State Radio, tells stories of American history;
  • "The Crane Wife, 1 & 2," by The Decemberists; based on a Japanese folk tale;
  • "Carolina Drama," by The Raconteurs; Jack White sings about the south as only he can;
  • "Franklin's Tower," by The Grateful Dead; More literary connections in one song than many bands put in an entire album.

4 p.m. Corey Profit
  • "Wonder," (Live) by Colin Meloy
  • "Imitosis," by Andrew Bird
  • "Summersong," by The Decemberists
  • "Beautiful World," by Colin Hay
  • "Fake Palindromes," by Andrew Bird

5 p.m. Grace DeWit

Isn't it all about you, anyway?
  • "Bones of You," by Elbow
  • "Pictures of You," by The Cure
  • "Thinking of You," by Norah Jones
  • "Anyone Else But You," by Moldy Peaches


6 p.m. Nick Frye

A beautiful girl walks in through the front door of the bar wearing a pair of tapered leg jeans. Her two-tone hair is pulled up in the back and her piercing green eyes are partially covered by her bangs in the front. I stand, unable to move, like a wooden soldier frozen by her enigmatic presence.

I become paranoid and overly aware that I'm just staring. I can't take my eyes off of her. It's as if this is the first day of my life. That's the story of how I met my current girlfriend. Plus, we love all of these bands and songs.
  • "Taper Jean Girl," by Kings of Leon
  • "Bangs," by They Might be Giants
  • "Wooden Soldiers," by Person L
  • "Paranoia in B-Flat Major," by The Avett Brothers
  • "First Day of My Life," by Bright Eyes

1 comment:

Corey said...

So glad to hear you played my set. :-)

-Corey @ baltimorerowhouse.blogspot.com