WTMD listeners take over the airwaves with three-to-five song sets on Thursday.
7 a.m. Atara Ziffer
As I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks, I really only have one thought on my mind.
* "Sleeping Lessons," by The Shins
* "Golden Slumbers," by The Beatles
* "Dreams," by The Allman Brothers Band
* "Asleep," by The Smiths
* "Narcolepsy," by Ben Folds Five
9 a.m. Greg Fagula
Oooooos, Aaaaaaaaaahs, and Ladi Das.
* "Love Dog," by TV On The Radio
* "Wake Up," by Arcade Fire
* "Ode to LRC," by Band Of Horses
11 a.m. Christine Catramados
Thanks to WTMD, these are some of the songs I knew all the words to at the 2007 Virgin Fest!
* "Missed The Boat," by Modest Mouse
* "All My Friends," by LCD Soundsystem
* "The Book I Write" by Spoon
* "Summer In The City," by Regina Spektor
* "Back To Black," by Amy Winehouse
1 p.m. Lauren Seserko
These songs are my favorite this summer, and if I was to spend a summer day at a festival, this is what I'd want to hear!
* "Two Weeks," by Grizzly Bear
* "Little Secrets," by Passion Pit
* "I Cut Like A Buffalo," by The Dead Weather
* "French Navy," by Camera Obscura
* "Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked," by Cage The Elephant
4 p.m. Tina Zeller
I'm an avid concert goer but for some reason the stars have not quite aligned for me to attend any of the past Virgin Fests. This year I'm ready and able but without tickets. I love the lineup and one of the featured artists, Public Enemy, takes me back to my college days when I hosted my own weekly radio show.
I remember one occasion in particular when I decidedly became non compliant with our Top 40 dinner hour format. I blared Public Enemy's "Bring The Noise" over the campus airways into the cafeteria much to the dismay of our station manager. I danced around the booth and thrashed my head to the bustin’ rap beat and loved every minute of it.
Luckily, I was able to maintain my DJ status and my friends who were in the cafeteria lauded my little musical stunt- “Bass, how low can you go!” Here are some of my favorite tunes from this year’s Virgin Fest lineup.
* "Bring The Noise," by Public Enemy
* "Mistaken For Strangers," by The National
* "Sequestered in Memphis," by The Hold Steady
* "Surf Wax America," by Weezer
* "No You Girls," by Franz Ferdinand
7 p.m. Will Norris
All of these songs always put me in a great mood. They are all kind of songs that I would never hear on the radio anywhere else (which is why I listen to WTMD). It is rare to find a radio station that I can connect with in today's day and age.
* "Junior" by Widespread Panic
* "Reba," by Phish
* "Codeine," by Trampled By Turtles
* "In The Kitchen," by Umphrey's McGee
* "Girlfriend Is Better," by Talking Heads