WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mix Tape Thursday, 9/17/09

WTMD listeners take over the airwaves with three-to-five song sets on Thursday.

7 a.m. Cricket Masson

You need music to keep you awake on the long haul. Criteria for The Essential Road Trip playlist:

1) Fast beat to stay awake.
2) Know the words to sing at top of lungs.
3) Tinted windows so other drivers can’t see driver’s seat dancing and singing.

Picking 4 is hard as that barely gets you out of town but these are a few of my must haves, of which I have WTMD to thank for two and Doug to thank for one of them.

* "Spam," by Save Ferris
* "Kiss Off," by Violent Femmes
* "Brother Lee," by Citizen Cope
* "Wonderful Night," by Fatboy Slim
* "In Your Head," by The Mentionables


11 a.m. Kelly Carneal

Born and raised in Baltimore, I found myself drawn to farms early on and have worked in the agricultural field for several years now. Having lived all over the United States, and having visited many farms and farmers along the way, there tends to be a reoccurring alt-country soundtrack in my head.

These five rise to the top for me, especially on those perfectly brisk days, when I find myself walking a beautiful farm, instead of sitting inside with my nose in my laptop.

* "Gone Wanderin'," by Jackie Greene
* "Tailspin," by The Jayhawks
* "No Bad News," by Patty Griffin
* "Snow Is Gone," by Josh Ritter
* "To Be Young,” by Ryan Adams


5 p.m. Todd Heston
No real theme here, except all of the artists produced some of the best music of their generations.

* "Up on Cripple Creek," by The Band
* "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," by The Rolling Stones
* "Life by the Drop," by Stevie Ray Vaughn
* "Plush," by Stone Temple Pilots
* " Kill," by Jimmy Eat World

No comments: