WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Heeeeeeeere's Jenny and Johnny!

Rilo Kiley frontwoman Jenny Lewis and her folk singer boyfriend Jonathan Rice forged their creative partnership during sessions for Jenny's solo disc Acid Tongue and contributions to Elvis Costello's Momofuku.

And it's serendipitous that Declan McManus has our CD of the Week.  His understudies of sweet melancholy Jenny and Johnny play this week's Morning Sessions Friday at 920am.

The, sometimes, biting songwriting, set against sun-kissed indie pop melodies on their debut I'm Having Fun Now offers the kind-of intriguing contradictions that often define relationships themselves.  Though their voices blend, beautifully, it almost seems like they're arguing.

"On the song 'Scissor Runner,' there's a line that Jenny sings" Rice says. "'I'll forgive you, if I outlive you.' And somebody said to me recently, 'I'm going to get that tattooed on my arm.' Another person said, 'Oh, that line makes me cry.' And this other person said...."

"What a couplet!" Lewis adds.

"That's a withering couplet you got there!" Rice says.

Sounds like THAT would make for nice matching tats!

No comments: