WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Neko Suave

I tell you, I just cannot get enough of Neko Case's Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. Just listen to the opening Grace Slick-like vocals on "Hold On Hold On." That first line, "The most tender place in my heart is for strangers...." kills me! What talent and guts! She's a combination of Loretta Lynne, Kurt Cobain and David Lynch. She's got the pipes to challenge any Dolly come lately, the kind in-your-face artist ethic that caused her to turn down several major label suitors and the non-linear song structure akin to of one of my favorite composers, and hers, I found out recently, Angelo Badalamenti(Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, etc). Listen to the strings and somewhat out of tune chord changes in this video for "Maybe Sparrows." (kind of reminds me of the Cold War Kids "Hang Me Up to Dry"). Neko has lived a hardscrabble life already. More on that later. Peace, for now.

No comments: