WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

The New Underwriting Guy's Top 10

Hey everyone! This is Robby, the underwriting guy, and I just completed my first week here at WTMD. I'm really excited to be a part of the group here and part of such a great station. Here are my top 10 in the order in which they came into my head.

1. Alice Smith - For Lovers, Dreamers, and Me : I saw her open for Citizen Cope and she may have stolen the show...at least for me. I see good things coming her way.
2. Brett Dennen - So Much More : He looks like he is 14 years old and kind of sounds like Tracy Chapman. He also happens to write great music and put out a stellar album that I can't stop listening to. I'm looking forward to the show at Rams Head Tavern next month.
3. Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun : I've been a huge fan of his for many years and this album was probably his best album since The Will To Live. Check out the song "Morning Yearning", which I think I listened to 5 times before I got to the rest of the album.
4. Rodrigo y Gabriela- Rodrigo y Gabriela : It's a fun album with two very talented guitarists whose influences are endless. Check them out on David Letterman, Monday the 18th.
5. Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit : Another great album from these guys. I really don't know what else to say about this one.
6. The Slip - Eisenhower : My freshmen roommate got me into this band. This album's sound is different from what I was first introduced to, but they are still great.
7. Jonah Smith - Jonah Smith : I was lucky to catch him and his band live and I immediately became a fan. I really dig his soulful voice and his songwriting. He lists Stevie Wonder as one of his biggest influences, which raises his stock in my book. Maybe we'll see something like Inversions or Talking Book from him in years to come.
8. Tea Leaf Green - Rock 'N' Roll Band : My favorite band to emerge from the jam band scene in recent years. This live album was also made into a DVD. Check out this clip from the movie.



9. Cat Power - The Greatest : Sometimes first impression is everything. A friend turned me onto this album and I initially loved everything about it...still do.
10. Mason Jennings - Boneclouds : It took me a couple of times listening to Boneclouds before I started to like it as much as his previous albums. I guess it's not as catchy as his other work, but his songwriting ability is still there and he still makes simple songs sound great.

Let me know if any of these albums resonate with you or if you think any of them are not worth a top 10 mention. Till next time...

No comments: