WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Meatloaf of My Mind

I've always been a Meatloaf Fan. I somehow think this has to do with my fascination for cliches. Let's face it, summing up every teenager's "Midnight Confession" is Meatloaf and producer Jim Steinmen niche, their expertise, their passion.

In fact, Jim Steinmen is the man inside the loaf (the bread crumbs, tabasco sauce, eggs, chopped onions, cheddar cheese and bacon wrapping--if you will). What makes Meatloaf a bit different is the music really since Steinmen has also written and produced some of the best known Power Ballad singers of our time. Celine Dion, Bonnie Tyler, Air Supply among others. Just think what Celine Dion could do with "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad!"

My first Meatloaf concert was at the Community Theater in Morristown, NJ when i was around 13 or 14. I remember going with a couple friends and having my father drive us in our old blue station wagon. Not exactly the faux metal persona we should have been portraying. But yes, we did make him drop us off a few blocks away so we didn't have to suffer the indignity of teen nerdum. It was a great show and I remember being captivated on how this big man could put out so much power and get all sweaty and still get the girl. Being a big boy in my teens, and not much of a jock, it was inspirational.

The best Meatloaf memory I have though is about Phil Rizzuto who does the play by play on Dashboard. He came into the white table cloth Italian restaurant I worked at when I was in High School. While all the other guys where getting giddy about his Yankee playing days and his wrists dripping with gold bracelets (it was the 70s and he's Italian after all), I was quizzing him about what Meatloaf was like and if he liked the song. I also remember he was a lousy tipper.

There are a ton of other musical connections inspired by Meatloaf and his music. Ellen Foley, Karla DeVito -whose married to Robbie Benson!--among others like Tim Curry. I personally think Meatloaf's Hot Patootie is the best song in Rocky Horror.

For all this babbling...I hope you find Mr. Loaf to be worthy of a place on WTMD's 897 Greatest Artists of All Time Countdown.

Here's some Youtube recorded in NJ

No comments: