WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Relentlessly Amazing

Ben Harper has always been a favorite of mine since I saw him opening for the Dave Matthews Band in the summer of 2000. I'm always excited when I hear that he's putting out a new album and this year is no exception to that statement. When the full album with his new band Relentless 7, White Lies For Lies For Dark Times slid across my desk I was elated. On first listen I decided it would be a featured CD of the Week here at the station and with tracks like "Number With No Name", "Shimmer & Shine", and "Fly One Time" there was no way around it.

I stayed up late to see every performance by the group on the late-night TV circuit and even passed up Nine Inch Nails' performance at Bonnaroo to see R7's show at The Other Tent. All I can say is that it was one of the most powerful performances I got to see at the festival and I had chills for the entire set. They even tackled a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Good Times, Bad Times" which left my face thoroughly melted.

Needless to say the band's set at the All Good Music & Arts Festival this weekend in Masontown, West Virginia, is one I have been looking forward to for a while.

No comments: