WTMD is listener-supported radio from the campus of Towson University.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Countdown To Bruce --Born to Run

Most would agree that Bruce Springsteen is one of the most important storytellers and artists of our time. Coupling his history and ability to tap into our collective mind sets is certainly a gift. But the side that makes Bruce so endearing is his ability to reduce that collective Gestalt into something individually important to each of us.

Much is being made of Bruce and E Streeters playing full albums at the last shows of the tour. I've been to more shows than I can count but the there is a special moment when Born To Run explodes onto the stage. Goosebumps, tears and introspection collide and carry those of us old enough to remember the Stone Pony into a state of middle aged well being.

I'll post one Piece of Bruce a Day between now and the show here in Baltimore. Please feel free to share your Bruce Stories. I'm staring here at my tickets and the station has been so busy that I really haven't had the time to focus on my pre Bruce anticipation. It hit me this morning that I'm seeing Bruce IN the the Town I Live In! That hasn't happened in quite a while (DC not withstanding). I've flown to Tampa, driven to Richmond twice and left at noon to make an Asbury Park Rehearsal Show and returned home at 3 the next morning--But here in Baltimore--that's gonna rock!

How far have you gone for a Bruce Show?

This one is from the 2002 Video Music Awards taped in NYC.

To steal a line--ARE YOU READY!?

No comments: